By Home Cooking Adventure
Makes about 6 servings
3+2 tbsp (45g+30g) sugar
1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
9 oz (250g) mascarpone cheese
pinch of salt
1 cup (240 ml) espresso coffee, at room temperature
2 tbsp (30ml) amaretto liqueur
20 Savoyardi ladyfingers (about 180g)
Cocoa powder, for dusting
1. Separate the egg yolks from the whites. Mix egg yolks with 3 tbsp of sugar over a pot with simmering water until thick,
creamy and pale yellow colored.A thermometer should read 160F (70C). Add vanilla extract and transfer to another bowl to cool faster.
2. Add mascarpone cheese and and blend well.
3. Whip egg whites with the remaining 2 tbsp of sugar and salt, until foamy, and gently fold them to the mascarpone mixture.
4. Combine the cooled espresso with liqueur and set aside.
5. Dip quickly the ladyfingers in the coffee mixture and lay out in a single layer on the bottom of a 8 X 8 inch tray. Don’t soak the ladyfingers too much, only the edges should be soaked, not entirely.
6. Add half of the mascarpone mixture. Lay another layer of soaked ladyfingers and add the rest of the mascarcpone mixture
on top. Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least 4-6 hours before serving. Sprinkle cocoa powder on top and serve.