Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 1 Hour
100g Block of Parmesan – £2.00
100g Pines Nuts – £2.80
Chilli Flakes – £0.85
Lemon – £0.30
Garlic – £0.30
Spinach – £1.00
Basil – £0.70
4 Sweet Potatoes – £1.33
Total Cost – £9.28 – This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/356°F
2. Place sweet potatoes in baking tray. Drizzle olive oil over the top. Season with salt and pepper, and add a teaspoon of chilli flakes. Place in oven for 50 minutes.
3. Now for the pesto. In a frying pan add 2 cloves of chopped garlic and a teaspoon of chilli flakes. Just before the garlic starts browning, add your spinach leaves. Add a small cup of water to help the spinach wilt. Cooking for 30 seconds or so – you don’t want the spinach to completely lose it’s shape.
4. Remove pan from heat and place the spinach into a bowl.
5. Toasting the pine nuts. Place your nuts into a frying pan. No oil. Medium heat. They should take 3 minutes or so. Keep jiggling them about to make sure they don’t burn.
6. Once cooked, add to the spinach bowl.
7. Grate parmesan. Add most of it to the mixing bowl. Add the zest of one lemon, and the juice of half the lemon. Add a handful of chopped basil.
8. After 50 minutes, remove sweet potatoes from oven. Slice them along the top and remove flesh. Add flash to the mixing bowl, and set the skins aside.
9. Mix everything together in the bowl, and then refill the sweet potato skins.
10. Finish with a scattering of leftover pine nuts, parmesan and basil. Squeeze a few drops of lemon over the top.